Saturday, July 2, 2011

rip cord



sunny morning
a spirit
a wish
of daring

strapped in harness
ascending with cables
up
up
above the city
above the crowds
above the church steeples

higher
above it all

adrenaline rush
time standing still
the things that bother me
down there
are as small
as the ant-sized people
below

I can breathe
laugh at nothing
none of it
weighs me down
none of it matters

and then, a pull
whoosh!
I'm falling

falling
falling toward
water
trees
the earth

knowing
that I won't crash

another tug
and I'm flying
soaring
arms outstretched
in a moment of
weightlessness
elusive freedom
from it all

no parents
none of the fears
they instilled in me

fears of flying
of rising above
arms wide open
heart exposed
to life and air
for better and worse

a parable
for living
breaking free
soaring

defying
oppressive gravity
unconcerned by mortality
eyes wide open
to remember
the moment

feet back on
the ground
my own weight
hard against
the surface

I will remember
what it felt like
for a moment

to soar



No comments:

Post a Comment