Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cat

(From the Sunday Scribblings prompt:  "easy")


standing majestic
as if posing for a
royal photo
he stares out the window

focused on a bird
a squirrel
totally focused
unwavering

he sleeps
spread out
all muscles relaxed
limp

or curled up
contained
paws under his chin
tail wrapped around
the length of his body

awakened
he stretches
in yoga-like fashion
gently reaching

he yawns
taking in all the air
he needs
his coarse tongue exposed

I watch him
chase a ping-pong ball
here
there
and back again

in total delight 

a woman comes to
the window
and strikes a pose
staring back at him

through the glass

and he is mesmerized
tail twitching
a mournful cry
sometimes coming from deep within him

he climbs up on my lap
massages the area
for awhile
making it meet his standards

he lays down
purring in tranquil ecstasy
looking up at me sleepily
inviting me into his peace

when I cry
becase life can be hard
he comes to me
puts his paws on my knee

and leans his purring
body inward toward me
if I lie down
he will massage the space next to me

curl up tight against me
and allow his warmth
to soothe
my sadness

I envy him
sometimes
while yet grateful
for him

life to him
seems so peaceful
so

easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment