Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fairy Tale

(From the Sunday Scribbling's Writing Prompt:  Fairy Tale)

Mama said there'd be days like this
there'd be days like this, my Mama said...
But Mama said 
to lower my standards 
the man I was looking for 
did not exist 

and I told my mama 
that I'd rather be alone 
than settle 
I came too close 
too many times 
to a life of forgetting who I was 

I wasn't looking for a fairy tale 
I knew that fairy tales don't come true 

what I'd forgotten 
or maybe didn't know 
was that fairy tales were full 
of darkness and challenge 
struggle and longing 
and giving up right before 
the sun finally rises 

fairy tales were hard won 
and "happily ever after" 
left much room for interesting narrative 

I bet Cinderella laughed 
with her new husband 
about the grace of their finding each other 
against all odds 
and she put away those damn glass slippers 
finally 
because after all, 
they were simply impractical 

She was used to hard work 
real life 
I doubt she just watched soap operas 
and joined the PTA 
I imagine Cinderella 
embraced her new life 
found things to stimulate her mind 
and her strong will 
and if the Prince truly loved her 
(after all, didn't they live "happily ever after"?) 
he wanted her to be the full person 
she was meant to be 

Or Snow White 
she'd known evil in her life 
she'd faced death and lived to tell 
she'd seen The Other Side 
and sat up to Begin Again 
with a man who loved her 
I imagine they had Thanksgivings 
with her seven little friends  
who were the first to love her 
for who she really was 

you and me 
what were the odds? 
we'd both been Through It 
The psychologists wouldn't have predicted 
a positive outcome 
too many "issues" 

but all I knew 
is that with you 
I was safe 
you quickly knew all about me 
the good and the bad 
the dark and the light 
you held my hand 
as I walked through fire 

and still 
you loved me 

I told you once 
when we were just friends 
that you had 
Jesus Eyes 

What I meant 
was that in your eyes 
I saw beauty in me 
that I hadn't seen before 

In your eyes 
I saw love 
that could endure 
everything 
ahead 

unshakeable 
unrelenting 

and there was no reasoning 
no wondering 
it didn't make any sense at all
but no matter what 
I did 
to keep you away 

your love enfolded me 
calmed me 
centered me 
grounded me 
and for the first time 

I was Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment