Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ankh


(from the Sunday Scribblings' writing prompt: talisman)


round like a mother's belly
stretched tight with life
marks forever in the flesh
a tribute to this time of creation

fertility
new life
possibility
dreams

sterling silver
symbol on a chain
resembling a cross
but more ancient

symbol of life
instead of death
of beginnings
not ending

of forming
assembling
renewing
of mystery

I wear it
as a reminder of life
a remembrance
of that holy time

when I participated
in creation
feeling life forming
in my center

stretching me
expanding me
increasing my world
my experience of what is real

waters flowing
cushioning
announcing
newness

amidst pain
uncertainty
waiting
waiting

the fragility of life
emerging strong
forcefully
from my own body

a symbol around my neck
of my own profound
transfiguration
baptism by womb waters

that cry of life
celebrating
giving praise
my daily reason for hope

a gift given by a sister
facing her own fragility
eventual departure
back into the world before and after

leaving me a symbol
a talisman
of miracle
and light

a reminder
of the timelessness
of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment