Saturday, February 12, 2011

facebook

out of the musty attic
of memory
a name
a face
and unbidden memories

people
frozen in Time
appear

aged by decades

what stories
carved those lines?
what events
cast a shadow
in those eyes?

I wonder about
the pages between
Then and Now
the child I knew
and the middle-aged
grown-up
your current picture
reveals

in my mind
you are still
a child
in adult clothing

I'm always surprised
you remember
me
a brief paragraph
in your memoirs

w--e sat together
in Sunday School
we played in the sandobox
and swam in your pool

we played on opposite teams
in volleyball
at summer camp--
I can't remember who won

you've been divorced
once or twice
you manage a band
in the Pacific Northwest
and dig Eastern theology

your girlfriend
thinks you're "hot"

we only post
our best
our favorite things
our current interests

it's beautiful
really

we avoid
the painful details
of those long years
when we wandered
without connection
or meaning

but now
we download our smiles
our current love interest

birthday parties
for grandkids
vacations to Colorado
wedding pictures

we collect
over 300 friends

but sometimes
I wonder
how lonely we
still are.

No comments:

Post a Comment