Saturday, February 19, 2011

resurrection




"In the midst of life we are in death, from whom can we seek help?"

-9th century
the first time
i died
was when cancer
stole you

all i remember
of purgatory
was the
nothingness
emptiness

i don't remember
feeling

and i wondered
if that was what
death felt like

but your death
gave me a boundary
living in the end-times
gave me relief


a limit
a horizon
an end i could see

the second time
i died

my childhood playmate
ceased breathing
no illness
no accident
no tidy explanation

her body
made its own
decision
to cease

then death
was around every corner
lurked in closets
behind every wheel

like a probation officer
waiting for me to make a mistake

life and death
played tug of war
with my soul

and always
there was you
in the shadows
of every friendship

i could hear
your giggle
in every grace note

the third time
i died was
when i walked
that lonesome valley
beside the friend
who snatched my hand
because she didn't want
to walk it by herself

but then she sighed
and let go of my grip

i descended into Hades
kicked butt with some demons
and hoped for the worst

not realizing that the worst
had already happened

so i decided
to leave hell
and live

until i died
for good.








No comments:

Post a Comment