Sunday, March 20, 2011

I, Eve



i am
innocent

of all charges

nobody ever
asked me
my side of the Story

What Really Happened

everybody
wants to blame someone
for their troubles

me

women still curse me
when they give birth
in pain

or have to
fake another orgasm

but I was
There

nobody wants
to hear the
voice of the Damned

I was hungry

that's all

I was hungry

God said the fruit
of That Tree
was especially good
to eat

why mention that?

a dare?

I needed something
different

a new taste

and my mouth watered
my stomach growled
at the sight
of that Special Fruit

and
God said
it would give me
Knowledge
Insight Into the Mysteries

I needed knowledge
I was brand new
Here

I didn't know
anything

nothing

I was a child
in a fully formed
body

I needed help

Adam didn't help
He just sat there
all day
doing nothing

he seemed to like
the set-up
everything done
for him

but i was
bored

restless

already I felt
stirrings
in my own body
that i didn't understand

desires
pleasures
feelings

like when Adam and I
touched

things
happened

and it was Good

so
the snake and I
got to talking

it was magical
to have an intelligent
conversation

to think
and ask
and wonder

the snake
was Wise
very Wise

I wanted that too

Eat, he said
eat of Wisdom,
knowledge
expand...

and it was
wonderful

i thought
so many thoughts
with the sweetest juice

rolling down my chin
it filled me
enlightened me

it opened my eyes!
i had to share it
with my beloved

we shared
connection
insight
beauty

and so God
thought we were ready
for the
Rest of the World

and God gave us
clothes
to stay warm

but as the Story
got passed down
over the centuries
it was distorted

into a myth
of Sin, Disobedience

Shame

but I am Eve
I am
Mother of All Living

Mother
of Wisdom

Seeker of Truth
and Beauty

the world--not I--
gives you Shame

I, Eve
give you Wisdom

and
Wonder.




No comments:

Post a Comment