Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lessons Learned

(From the Sunday Scribblings' writing prompt:  Lesson)


"Lessons learned are like bridges burned... you only need to cross them but once..." Dan Fogelberg

    
 I used to think that I had to have someone else's approval in order to feel good about myself.
           Now I give myself approval.
 I used to think that I was nobody unless somebody important loved me.
          Now I know that I am important.
 I spent a lot of energy looking for happiness and peace outside of myself;  in other people, in achievements, accomplishments.
         Now I know that happiness and serenity are inside of me already, and is mine for the accepting.
 I tried so hard not to shine too brightly or make too much noise, because I thought standing out or being noticed was selfish and prideful.
          Now I know that God gave me a light to shine, gifts to share, and who I am can be a gift.
  I used to be ashamed because I was a woman....I am not worthy to eat the crumbs that fall from your table, O Lord...
          Now I know that I am beautiful, inside and outside, and that being a woman gives me unique gifts, unique strengths, no more or less than a man. 
  I used to think tears and anger were signs of lack of faith.
         Now I know that God uses my tears and my anger to make a difference, to speak a truth, to connect with another soul and that all feelings are part of the complex beings that we are.
  I wanted to make a splash, leave a mark in this world; get published, win an award, be impressive, so that I could be somebody.
         Now I know that I am already somebody.  I was somebody already when I was born;  I was God's child, no one else like me, and that I was born to be loved and to give love.
   I used to think that I had to fit in in order to be ok.
         Now I know that I'm ok just the way I am and that I should never compromise who I am just to get along. 
   I used to think that I had to have a man in order to be complete, because I couldn't make it on my own.
        Now I have a man who loves me for who I am, relishes in my uniqueness, admires my independence, and helps me to blossom even more into who I am meant to be.
   I used to think that Life was a trial, just one damn thing after another, another day to get through.
        Now I know that Life is a gift, an adventure, and an endless circle of possibilities for Beauty.
  
  Now I know, that Life is Good.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment