Sunday, September 1, 2013

to the morning


(When I was in middle school, my parents owned a little house in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.  We went there to get away when we were able, and I spent hours wandering in the woods, writing poetry and picking up orange salamanders...)
 
 
the path
is spongy
beneath my feet
from morning dew
 
moisture enclosed
by walls and a
ceiling of trees
housing the dawn
 
it's as if I
crossed a threshold
between
here and there
 
a field of dreams
and an ordinary
backyard
or
 
an antique wardrobe
that opens out
onto
a snowy pathway
 
in the woods
 
but it's not winter here
the trees whisper
their greeting
a chipmunk says
 
"good morning"
 
I sit on a rock
brush my hand
over the carpet
of moss
 
catching a salamander
organe and soft
its tiny claws
bearing no weight
 
on my hand
 
I dip my toes
in iced water
flowing over
slick, mossy stones
 
fishes darting away
from my giant feet
distrubing their
morning routine
 
it is quiet
still
a world innocent
and fresh
 
a place
to believe again
in new beginnings
in goodness
 
and a God
who keeps it all
together
 
it is here
as a child
I became a poet
a connosseur of beauty
 
where I learned
to meditate
before I'd heard
the concept
 
it is here
among the salamanders
chipmunks
and feet-numbing brooks
 
that I learned
to worship
sing silent praise
to the morning
 
and
be
whole.  

No comments:

Post a Comment