Saturday, August 30, 2008

Play Nice

First of all, let me get something off my chest. I am a registered Democrat. And I'm a Christian. There, I said it.

I say it, first of all, because the election heat is intensifying with the one convention down, one more to go. I expect to receive even more anti-Democrat emails in my email than I have in the past. Unless I nip it in the bud. Let me also say that I am never even tempted to send anti-Republican ads, never do I question the sincerity of one's faith based on their political party. I just ask that you don't either.

I am not blind. I do not expect any Democrat to be a savior or a messiah or anything but a human politician with ideals that I share. I get disappointed when otherwise smart people do really stupid things: ie, not keeping their pants on. But I know a lot of really smart people in everyday life who do stupid things all the time, yet it doesn't make national news. I don't expect any politician to be more than human. I do hope and pray they can be wise.

Let's just decide to play fair. I have a lot of Republican friends. We'll still be friends after the election, I hope, no matter who wins. They are voting for someone and I'm voting for someone else. That doesn't mean they or I am any less Christian, any less caring of human life and dignity, any less likely to make it to heaven. Let's play nice. Why is it so difficult for us to disagree and still respect each other? How many problems could be solved if we could only remember to have respect for each other?? Why is this so hard?

I am personally thrilled to see our first African American presidential candidate from a major party. I don't like him just because he's black. If he were Asian, Korean, Canadian, Indian or South African, and had all the same ideals/beliefs, I'd still like him. Gosh, I'd even like him if he were white! I don't expect him to save the world in 4-8 years, but I do have hopes that he can lead us in some much-needed directions and get something good started, if he is elected. I don't believe he's a Muslim-- I believe him when he says he's a Christian; I don't believe he's a Communist (why does THAT always come up? Can't we be more creative in our insults than something that was used 50 years ago??), I don't believe he's the Anti-Christ (yes, I've seen that accusation), and I don't believe any of the other lies that are spread in hopes of scaring people away from him. And I won't be spreading e-rumors about his opponent. This is a democracy, right? We're proud of that. We're so darn proud of that, that we think OTHER countries should have democracy like us, too. So let's act like a democracy, and vote our consciences. Let's respect people who disagree with us, because no matter what happens, we still have to live together after the election.

Let's not blindly believe every nasty thing that is conjured up about either Obama or McCain, in desperate efforts to win. Let's play fair. Let's vote. We always vote with the knowledge that we will win or lose, because nobody always gets their way. We do what we can to make our voice heard, and I pray that the U.S. never loses that strength of allowing the people to decide.

But all I ask is if you want to be nasty about it, please don't call me or email me. Don't insult my intelligence, my faith, my sanity, or my humanity. I promise I won't insult yours. Someone very wise once said that we don't have to attend a fight just because someone invites us. While the ads and the newscasters are hashing it out with mean words and insults over the next couple of months, we don't have to be sucked into it. We can be bigger than that. You don't even have to tell anyone who you're voting for if you don't feel like it.

In the words of Tiny Tim, "God Bless Everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment