Sunday, January 16, 2011

invisible


when i was little
i used to close my eyes
in a crowded room
and believe that no one could see me

a lot of the time
it seemed to be true
i opened my eyes
and they still couldn't see me

it was easy to play the game

the boys were always the center
of attention
i learned early
that boys were very important

they could do things
make things happen
they were tough
and so, i learned, superior

i was just a girl

i got used to not being seen
for awhile
i believed
that it was ok

i went to church
and listened to all the stories
of the heroes of the bible
and none of them were women

i worshipped the father
the son
and their sidekick,
the holy spirit

i sang
rise up, o men of god!
and
good christian men, rejoice!

and i rejoiced

i didn't complain

i was invisible,
after all
who would hear me?

but then
this same god
whispered to me
along the way,

hey, you're not so sneaky
i see you

and you are Beautiful

and I blushed

and now

when someone

looks right through me

or speaks as if

i'm not there

i get mad

because i am here

i am Beautiful

i have a voice

and i

will not be ignored

No comments:

Post a Comment