Sunday, January 2, 2011

progress


i wore other people's clothes
even when they didn't fit

i wrote papers with other people's ideas
even when i thought them absurd

i groaned and strained
pushed and pulled

sucked it in
shut my mouth

tried to learn the tune
even when it was not in my range

i tried to dance
but stumbled over my feet
the steps weren't made for me

i followed instructions
but it always tasted bitter

i cried
i beat my fists in pillows
i kicked against invisible walls
that didn't give

but then you came
you held my face in your hands
looked at me
as if you saw the most precious beauty

you caught my tears
you heard my rage
and then you held me
gently

now i sing the song
as it comes to me
i wear the clothes that fit me
i add my own ideas to the instructions

improvise

most of all
i trust me

i trust the story
that i alone can write

i can breathe

i can move

i can even dance
a little

i'd say
that's progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment