Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Here

From the Sunday Scribbling's writing prompt:  You Are Here

"I BELIEVE I HAVE INSIDE OF ME
EVERYTHING THAT I NEED TO LIVE A BOUNTIFUL LIFE.
WITH ALL THE LOVE ALIVE IN ME
I'LL STAND AS TALL AS THE TALLEST TREE.
AND I'M
THANKFUL FOR EVERYDAY THAT I'M GIVEN,
BOTH THE EASY AND HARD ONES I'M LIVIN'.
BUT MOST OF ALL
I'M THANKFUL FOR
LOVING WHO I REALLY AM.
I'M BEAUTIFUL.
YES, I'M BEAUTIFUL,
AND I'M HERE..." 


From "The Color Purple" musical

I used to think
that my life was a map
that was all laid out
before I was born

the biography already written
the plot already thickened

and I had to find the key
the solution
the answer
to star in the story
that was already finished

but

then I grew up

I looked outside of myself
for the clues
sought answers in other people's
eyes
struggled for worth
struggled to be seen, acknowleged
recognized 

so I could get somewhere
be somebody

lovable

it was only when I walked away
from everything I knew
pushed the "stop" button
on a narrative
that kept demanding blood

it was only when I
was in the middle of the wilderness
with no map
no clue

experiencing death
my worst fear

it was then

that I realized
that I have survived

I have grown tougher
more tender

I have walked over mountains
staunched the bleeding
of seemingly fatal blows 

I have sung into the darkness
with a trembling voice
dared to love
in the face of death

it was then
that I realized 

that I am me
I am worthy
I am beautiful
I am loved
I am strong

and

I
am
HERE.

    

      

No comments:

Post a Comment